-

Welcome to Miss Molly and Aspergers! :)

Hello there, welcome to my blog Miss Molly and Aspergers! My name is Molly and I am a teenage girl with Aspergers Syndrome.

I have created this blog to help create awareness of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

TIP: Search Aspergers on Facebook and you will find dozens of amazing communities and support networks! If you choose to interact in one of these communities, you may even make some great friends who are also Aspies, like I have.

Why you may find use in my blog:
Insight, support, self-research/experience and understanding (awareness) will be covered in the content of Miss Molly and Aspergers, including the following subjects and more:

- Bullying/dealing with peers
- Surviving in social situations
- Hobbies/Obsessions and Interests
- School/Life
- Communication - Social skills - Understanding spoken and unspoken language norms.
- Sensory Issues/ sound, smell, sight, taste, feel, (textures) - the ability to experience heightened senses - and coping with the strong diversions (intolerance)
- Importance of Routine and Structure
- Friendships
- Coping with Meltdowns and dealing with the aftermath (consequences - I.e Social embarrassment)
- Dealing with people who do not acknowledge the existence of The Autism Spectrum (ASD). People who therefore are unable to acknowledge the rhyme and reasons for your differences.

Copy Cats Beware

© Molly Tylor and Miss Molly and Aspergers, 2013-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Molly Tylor and Miss Molly and Aspergers with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Difference between OCD and Aspergers Obsessions

Aspergers people can have a tendency to have obsessions.

When I was four I was initially diagnosed with OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
I always wash my hands too much, and get easily upset when things were out of place.
The main reason I washed my hands too much was because I did not like the feeling of food, dirt, etc on my them. (hypersensitive symptom of Aspergers)
I apparently had an obsession over germs. I acknowledge I have a bit of OCD. However the little OCD obsessions I had were confused with my Apspergers obsessions.
This is when treatment for OCD didn't work.

Psychologists tried treating me for OCD only.
A person with OCD most of the time can be reassured which helps them stop what they are obsessing over. From my experience as a child with ASD I would meltdown and get highly upset when I was made to stop what I was doing.

Unlike a person with OCD, who does not enjoy their compulsive behavior.
An Aspie usually enjoys their obsession: Ie: An online game, school work, music, collecting, sport. cleaning etc. (Yes some of us do enjoy cleaning)
At times one obsession will become the full focus of an Aspies mind.
This will be all they want to do and concentrate on. This can be frustrating for their family members and friends.

My experience when I was a child, when I had friends I would constantly want to do this one thing.
I would spend hours doing it if I could. When they didn't want to, I would nag and wing and get upset and meltdown. This is one reasons I could never keep friends.

Overtime these obsessions will change or may never change.

Aspies have the abilitiy to concentrate and spend so much time and energy on one obsession. Aspies can become very successful people because of this. Look at Bill Gates and the scientists of humanities history.

This can be seen as an advantage. However if an Aspie becomes fixated on a negative obsession, things can become difficult and upsetting.
Examples of this are dangers, a risk to their safety/health and/or if an Aspie becomes interested in fashion or their appearance.
When an Aspie becomes aware of their physical appearance negative behaviours can become prevalent. This is because we are perfectionists. When we feel we cannot perfect, our self esteem becomes in jeopardy.

Parents can help prevent these negative obsessions by encouraging positive ones. By encouraging Aspies to concentrate on a positive obsession, positive behaviours come to place.
When we are concernating or becoming obbessive with our obbsessions it is highly important to introduce other priorities politely (Not by yelling or demanding). 
Keep watch and give Aspies guidance. Ask for help if they begin focusing on negative obsessions.

~ Molly xo



No comments:

Post a Comment